Dresden Branch 113, Royal Canadian Legion
Are Celebrating Their 91st Anniversary during Legion Week.
Dresden's First World War veterans were served by Br. 113 of the British Empire Service League some 91 years ago. However, following
the second world war, the veterans group was re-organized and a new charter was formally issued on March 14, 1946. The Dresden branch retained its original charter number 113.
Immediately following the Second World War, veterans were
meeting in Dresden's old fire hall, then located next to the Presbyterian Church. Years later, the local branch's membership regularly in a shop where McKellars
Flowers & Gifts is now located.
Still later, meetings were held upstairs in the old Toronto-Dominion Bank building.
A location for Br. 113's meetings and activities was an early problem for the young branch, and in 1947 the Green Mountain Hotel at the corner of Camden and St. George Streets was purchased in hopes that it would serve as a permanent
At first it was anticipated that the existing structure could easily be converted into a Legion hall. But upon closer examination, it was determined than an entirely new structure would have to be built.
member Neil McKerracher demolished the Green Mountain, and saw that the building materials were removed.
Local contractor George Clark
agreed to construct a 30 by 50 foot cement block building for $5,000. He held the mortgage and Br. 113 paid the principle. Clark didn't charge the Legion any interest.
The branch's newly construction Legion hall was formally opened
on Sunday, April, 3, 1949 and as president that year, Pat Dunlop served as chairman of the opening ceremony. Between 400 and 600 people turned out for the event.
When it received its charter in 1946, membership stood at 60; by 1949,
that had grown to 119 veterans. Still later, Br. 113's membership would rise to nearly 200. In June of 195, when the Legion branch burnt its mortgage
in in a formal ceremony, about 175 members and associates attended that function.
The Royal Canadian Legion Branch 113 Dresden of 2013, continues to be active in fund-raising and community service.